Thursday, December 07, 2006
Message for Friday - Muslims should be united against oppression & bigotry
إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ إِخْوَةٌ فَأَصْلِحُوا بَيْنَ أَخَوَيْكُمْ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ
G'd says in the Qur'an (49.10): The believers are but a single brotherhood. So make peace between your brothers, and rever G'd in order that you may receive mercy.
Muslims are obligated to resist or oppose another group of Muslims, who are perpetrating crimes or oppression. In the post 9/11 era, Muslim groups have issued fatwas, wrote books, delivered speeches and held press conferences addressing corrupt and oppressive elements within themselves, ranging from the Tunisian government to Al-Qa'ida. However, due to the immense pressure of being a targeted group that has sufferred from religious discrimination on several levels to hate crimes, many Muslims on an individual level have become timid as sheep when it comes to challenging the wrongs that are done against Muslims.
Statements are made such as:
"We are too weak to say or do anything..."
"I don't want any trouble..."
"What are they going to think about me if..."
"The government isn't going to help us, so why bother contacting them?"
This is even true with some Muslims today that their own co-workers and friends, who they have known for decades and know nothing but good things about, may come under scrutiny from law-enforcement or media. These Muslims with the "victim" mentality have become morally weak and will not defend any Muslim even when they are certain that he/she is innocent. This weak, victim mentality is not that way of Islam.
المسلمون يد واحدة على من سواهم
Prophet Muhammad (SAAS) stated, "The Muslims are one hand upon whoever harms them."
إِنَّ الْمُؤْمِن مِنْ أَهْلِ الْإِيمَانِ بِمَنْزِلَةِ الرَّأْسِ مِنْ الْجَسَدِ
"Surely the believer from the people of faith is in a position like the head of a body."
الْمُؤْمِن لِلْمُؤْمِنِ كَالْبُنْيَانِ يَشُدُّ بَعْضُهُ بَعْضًا
"The believer to another believer is just like a building in which one section supports the other."
Thus in America, Muslims must take a stand against agencies and corporations that seek to marginalize the community. The civil rights activists such as Dr. Martin King Jr. understood that taking a stand even at the risk of being beaten, going to jail or being killed was more honorable than being a passive victim. If an agency discriminated, he protested. If the bus company made blacks sit at the back of the bus, the bus fare was used for gas money to give to someone else or the bus fare was saved in favor of walking instead of giving up money to be humilated.
And surely G'd knows best.
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- ► 2007 (332)
- Bigot of the Month - Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA)
- Saadam: The death of a tyrant
- `Eid Sa`eed - Happy `Eid
- Message for Friday - Hajj: From Adam, Abraham to M...
- MI Muslims to feed poor in the spirit of Abraham
- Palestinian Christians not having such a Merry Chr...
- The Legend of Christmas
- Oakland U. offers Islamic studies
- Message for Friday - Reflect on early Islamic hist...
- CAIR deserves praise, not criticism, for service
- Is all of what is called the "Holy Land" truly hol...
- Mary, Mother of Jesus
- Prager is way off base
- ACLU honors Arab & Muslim leaders
- Walid receives award from ACLU
- Message for Friday - Regard your relationship with...
- Walid on front page of today's Oakland Press - 12/...
- Iraq needs reformed military to stablize
- CAIR-MI's Speakers Bureau at University of Michiga...
- Community to protest Comerica Bank
- Muslims, Jews start to heal
- Message for Friday - Muslims should be united agai...
- Grassroots campaign against Comerica Bank
- Female circumcision is against Islam
- Muslim charity fights back within the system
- FITNESS USA DISCRIMINATES AGAIN!
- Poisoned Russian spy accepts Islam before dying
- Walid speaks on Vic McCarty Show from Traverse Cit...
- Bogus terrorism claims by the government perpetuat...
- CAIR-MI mentioned in the Jewish Daily Forward
- No futher arrests made in assault on Detroit Musli...
- More hate crimes in Michigan
- Walid on WJR 760 AM discussing 'hate crime' of De...
- Clarifying misconceptions about Islam
- Is there a pattern of kicking Muslims off of US Ai...
- ▼ December (35)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier