Monday, November 05, 2007
Pakistani dictator uses extermism as an excuse to impose martial law
Yesterday's announcement that Gen. Pervez Musharraf was imposing martial law upon Pakistan was not a major surprise. Dictator Musharraf claimed the title "President" for himself after deposing the democratically elected government of Pakistan in a military coup. Musharraf has imprisoned opposition and attempted to censor journalists, who have spoken out against him. Currently, Pakistan has been under a 3 day news blackout.
Also what was very predictable was that Musharraf would use the excuse that the Constitution of Pakistan needed to be suspended due to the threat of extremists, which is the excuse that other nations have used to quell political dissent where Muslims reside. In this imposition, Musharraf dissolved the judiciary branch of government. In other words, Musharraf wants ZERO checks and balances.
The judges as well as the lawyers of Pakistan are hardly extremists or Taliban types. In fact, many of the lawyers, who protested the firing of Pakistan's Chief Judge Iftikher Chaudry and are taking to the streets now are SECULARISTS. They are not marching for increasing the role of Islamic Law in Pakistan; they are marching that the CURRENT constitution of the nation be adhered to.
Realistically, Musharraf cannot last. Even sadder is that our administration supported this dictator, who overthrew the elected president of Pakistan, and the people of Pakistan partially blame our nation for propping up this dictator. Our President, however, will tell us that they don't like us because of "our freedom."
Do you wonder why Anti-Americanism is rising in the so called "developing world?"
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- Message for Friday - The practical do's and don'ts...
- Black Agenda Report: "Save Darfur" is a scam
- Walid speaks at WSU regarding American Muslims wit...
- Expectations low for upcoming summit in Maryland
- Peace activist's trial to begin in Ann Arbor regar...
- Have a Happy Turkey Day!
- Brits are correctly adjusting their messaging, whe...
- Advertisers stay away from Islamophobe, Michael Sa...
- Old fashion anti-Black racism and Islamophobia at ...
- Message for Friday - Ask G'd, Give to Men
- Walid speaks on panel regarding Islamophobia and A...
- French "charity" workers attempted kidnapping was ...
- Walid clarifies misconceptions at GVSU
- Defend Catherine Wilkerson
- Walid speaks at OU regarding the importance of Isl...
- Walid gives sermon - "Yaa Thaalim!"
- Message for Friday - Muslims are obligated to chal...
- Imams in MI meet with Governor
- Walid speaks to dental students at U of D-Mercy
- Pakistani dictator uses extermism as an excuse to ...
- Walid facilitates discussion at Muslim Matters Con...
- Savage Goes on Islamophobic Tirade
- Message for Friday - Guarding Against Ignorance
- ▼ November (23)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier