Wednesday, October 17, 2007
"Prince Among Slaves" documentary playing tomorrow
"Prince Among Slaves" will be shown tomorrow evening, Thursday, at 7 PM at the Fellowship Chapel Church at 7707 W. Outer Drive in Detroit, Michigan.
Admission is FREE.
A NEW LOOK AT HISTORY: Film shows dignity of slaves, Muslims
October 17, 2007
BY NIRAJ WARIKOO
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
It's a story not well-known: A prince in west Africa who is heir to a sizable kingdom is enslaved and taken to America in 1788 at age 26 and fights for 40 years to regain his freedom.
But now, the life of Abdul-Rahman Ibrahima, an African Muslim, may reach a wide audience through a new film about his struggles.
The movie, "Prince Among Slaves," will make its Detroit debut Thursday at a screening sponsored by local Muslim and African-American groups, including the Detroit Branch NAACP and the Council on American-Islamic Relations. It comes at a time of renewed interest in some slaves' Islamic faith.
"It's a very moving film," said Mitchell Shamsud-Din of Detroit, who is helping to organize the event. "We need to be conscious of where we came from, so we can know where we want to be."
Born into the Fulbe group, Ibrahima was sold in Natchez, Miss., to a plantation owner. He wrote letters to his family in Africa, trying to regain his freedom, and his case got African leaders' attention.
He eventually won his freedom, but his children were still slaves, and he fought hard for years to get them released. He returned to Africa, but died a few months later, with his children still in slavery.
Directed by Bill Duke and narrated by Mos Def, the movie will resonate with many in metro Detroit because of the area's large African-American and Muslim populations, organizers said. Shamsud-Din said he was touched by the prince's struggles to help his children.(MORE)
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- Conference on Muslims in Europe begins on Friday
- European group accussed of enslaving Chadian and D...
- The Armenian - US Congress Irony
- Why Halloween is impermissible for Muslims
- MSU to hold conference on America's top selling po...
- Walid gives sermon - "Peace Between Brothers"
- Walid speaks about misrepresentations of Islam and...
- Message for Friday - The Weakness is Internal
- Muslim - Jewish dialogue for understanding & peace...
- Juror of HLF trial speaks
- HLF mistrial a stunning defeat for US government, ...
- Cole & Meek discuss HLF mistrial on Democracy Now
- No need for students to fear right wing blowhards
- Civilian children and clergy killed in raid, Kurds...
- Yesterday's Islamophobia/Islamophilia conference a...
- Irrational policy regarding PKK
- Message for Friday - Some food for thought
- Islamophobia at U of M Flint
- "Prince Among Slaves" documentary playing tomorrow...
- Walid speaks to Muslim youth regarding dangers of ...
- Happy Eid from the Empire State Building
- Saying of Prophet Muhammad (SAAS) on the last day ...
- Last day of Ramadan is today for most mosques in M...
- Eid Mubarak or Eid Confusion?
- More coverage regarding Muslim-Jewish dialogue
- Saying of the day from the Seal of the Prophets (S...
- Walid speaks about Muslims in America and students...
- Saying from the Seal of the Prophets (SAAS)
- Saying of the day from the best of creation (SAAS)...
- Walid speaks about the conflict between rights and...
- Happy Columbus Day?
- Wisdom from the Messenger of G'd (SAAS)
- Saying of the day from the Leader of the Prophets ...
- Walid speaks regarding the Night of Power
- Walid speaks about social justice in Islam during ...
- Saying of the Beloved of G'd related to recent imm...
- Jews, Muslims break bread at Ann Arbor home
- Saying of the day related to jihad (struggle)
- Saying of the day from the Messenger of G'd (SAAS)...
- Walid speaks about importance of cultivating mutua...
- Saying of the day from Prophet Muhammad (SAAS)
- Start of last 10 nights of Ramadan
- Walid speaks at Cranbrook regarding Ramadan and ne...
- Radio host says that white people go to Harlem for...
- Attack on Imam Ali (KW) - 19th of Ramadan
- ▼ October (45)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier