Wednesday, October 31, 2007
European group accussed of enslaving Chadian and Darfurian children
This is a prime example of why African nations are reluctant to allow European aide workers to have free reign in areas that are war torn or stricken with severe poverty. Usually, the primary concerns are that such groups use relief work as a cover to prostelyze the natives or are spies of foreign governments under the cloak of Samaritanism.
Chadians protest children case, cite "slave trade"
Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:05am EDT
By Stephanie Hancock
ABECHE, Chad, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Chadians chanting "no to the slave trade, no to child trafficking" protested on Wednesday against a French group accused of trying to illegally fly children from the central African country to Europe.
Several hundred angry locals gathered outside the governor's office in the eastern town of Abeche, where nine French nationals and seven Spaniards were arrested last week as they tried to fly 103 children out of the impoverished state.
"We can't accept this act of barbarity, of vandalism. Whether in the 8th century or the 20th century there shouldn't be these kinds of acts in Africa," shouted one protester.
The detained French are members of a group called Zoe's Ark which said it wanted to place orphans aged 3-10 years from Sudan's war-torn Darfur region with European families.
The scandal has triggered outrage among Chadians, with many on the barren border with Sudan questioning the motives of scores of foreign humanitarian groups that work with refugees who have fled years of conflict in Darfur.
Families of children missing in eastern Chad, itself riven by conflict and sheltering some 230,000 Sudanese refugees from Darfur, arrived at the orphanage where the 103 children are being held in the hope of finding lost relatives.
"I can assure you that the Chadian government ... is aware of your complaints and is putting in place all the necessary judicial measures to investigate this issue," Abeche governor Tourka Ramadan Karo told the crowd.
In a bid to calm anger against former colonial power France, he emphasised the group responsible was acting independently and said the French government was helping with investigations.(MORE)
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- Conference on Muslims in Europe begins on Friday
- European group accussed of enslaving Chadian and D...
- The Armenian - US Congress Irony
- Why Halloween is impermissible for Muslims
- MSU to hold conference on America's top selling po...
- Walid gives sermon - "Peace Between Brothers"
- Walid speaks about misrepresentations of Islam and...
- Message for Friday - The Weakness is Internal
- Muslim - Jewish dialogue for understanding & peace...
- Juror of HLF trial speaks
- HLF mistrial a stunning defeat for US government, ...
- Cole & Meek discuss HLF mistrial on Democracy Now
- No need for students to fear right wing blowhards
- Civilian children and clergy killed in raid, Kurds...
- Yesterday's Islamophobia/Islamophilia conference a...
- Irrational policy regarding PKK
- Message for Friday - Some food for thought
- Islamophobia at U of M Flint
- "Prince Among Slaves" documentary playing tomorrow...
- Walid speaks to Muslim youth regarding dangers of ...
- Happy Eid from the Empire State Building
- Saying of Prophet Muhammad (SAAS) on the last day ...
- Last day of Ramadan is today for most mosques in M...
- Eid Mubarak or Eid Confusion?
- More coverage regarding Muslim-Jewish dialogue
- Saying of the day from the Seal of the Prophets (S...
- Walid speaks about Muslims in America and students...
- Saying from the Seal of the Prophets (SAAS)
- Saying of the day from the best of creation (SAAS)...
- Walid speaks about the conflict between rights and...
- Happy Columbus Day?
- Wisdom from the Messenger of G'd (SAAS)
- Saying of the day from the Leader of the Prophets ...
- Walid speaks regarding the Night of Power
- Walid speaks about social justice in Islam during ...
- Saying of the Beloved of G'd related to recent imm...
- Jews, Muslims break bread at Ann Arbor home
- Saying of the day related to jihad (struggle)
- Saying of the day from the Messenger of G'd (SAAS)...
- Walid speaks about importance of cultivating mutua...
- Saying of the day from Prophet Muhammad (SAAS)
- Start of last 10 nights of Ramadan
- Walid speaks at Cranbrook regarding Ramadan and ne...
- Radio host says that white people go to Harlem for...
- Attack on Imam Ali (KW) - 19th of Ramadan
- ▼ October (45)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier