Thursday, November 30, 2006
Message for Friday - Verification of news and testimony is essential
G'd says in the Qur'an (49.6): "Oh you who beleive! When a corrupt person comes to you with any news, ascertain the truth lest you harm people unwittingly, and afterwards be full of repentance for what you have done.
In the age of the internet, humans are able to receive information at a rate never imagined by previous generations. This advancement, however, has opened the door to people with corrupt intentions to circulate misinformation as never before.
Hence, a person, even with the most sincere intentions, can see, hear, or read information, yet be led astray by one who seeks to defame or present a particular perspective for their own monetary benefit, fame or vengeful desires against a particular issue, group or person . Therefore, the Qur'an calls the sincere to also be responsible in their intaking and spreading of reports that they have received.
The following questions should be asked when receiving news:
1) Is the person who gives the information being paid to represent a particular perspective?
2) Is the person who gives the information known for misreporting in the past?
3) Is the person known to be unethical in business?
4) Is there a possible motive attached to giving a particular perspective?
5) Is the person sane?
6) Is there means to verify the veracity of the information?
7) Is there reporting mixed with assumptions or commentary about events or potential issues that have yet to occur?
8) Is this person known to be unjust and/or prejudice?
These are some of the points that can be used as a litmus test, be it hearing conversations about an issue, group or person, seeing or hearing news on television or reading blogs.
The Prophet Muhammad (SAAS) said, "Ascertainment is from G'd, and rushed judgment is from the Satan.
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- ► 2007 (332)
- Michigan Civil Rights leader condemns violence aga...
- Message for Friday - Verification of news and test...
- 1 male charged with 3 felonies for assault on Detr...
- Walid comments on need for Federal probe into atta...
- Muslim leaders allege hate crime in Detroit
- Walid's pre-9/11 anniversary sermon
- Walid interviews "Zaydi" in Dearborn
- Walid addresses youth regarding civil rights
- Community update regarding LIFE/Comerica Bank situ...
- Walid comments on praying in public in airports
- The truth about the Council on American-Islamic Re...
- Message for Friday - Lack of interaction breeds ra...
- Imams denied passage by U.S. Airways - U.S. Airway...
- Passing of Imam Rasul Madyun (rh)
- Black Church leaders vow to focus on the plight of...
- Walid gives sermon - Comerica Bank issue raised
- Message for Friday - Islam condemns racism
- Congress' first Muslim can build bridges
- Walid speaks to Muslim youth
- Should Muslims do business with Comerica Bank?
- Message for Friday - Satan desires us to act from ...
- AMERICA'S FIRST MUSLIM ELECTED TO CONGRESS!
- CIOM Unity Banquet a Huge Success
- Message for Friday - Remembering and thanking G'd ...
- Walid speaks at community event in Farmington, Mic...
- CAIR rep. discusses the right to wear the head sca...
- Walid addresses dental school faculty and students...
- ▼ November (27)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier