Thursday, October 05, 2006
Message for Friday - Seek forgiveness and having the capacity to forgive
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ
قَالَا رَبَّنَا ظَلَمْنَا أَنْفُسَنَا وَإِنْ لَمْ تَغْفِرْ لَنَا وَتَرْحَمْنَا لَنَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ
G'd says in the Qur'an:
They said [Adam & Eve], Our Lord! We have wronged our own souls. And if you do not forgive us and have mercy upon us, certainly we will be the losers.
In this second portion of Ramadan, the portion of gaining forgiveness, the primary lesson is that human beings are the biggest oppressors of themselves. Meaning that personal transgressions are the biggest threat to himself/herself.
Seeking forgiveness must start with the recognition of one's own flaws and errors, then demands the sincere intention of wishing to desist from recommitting the same errors.
Besides seeking forgiveness of the Creator, it is incumbent that a person who has harmed others seek their forgiveness. Likewise, the person(s) who have been wronged should have the capacity to forgive - "Whoever does not show mercy, shall not receive mercy and whoever does not forgive, shall not be forgiven."
And surely G'd knows best.
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- ► 2007 (332)
- Bigot of the Month of October - Pat Robertson
- Walid receives 'Community Service Award' at banque...
- Walid comments on double-standard of freedom of ex...
- Response to Nolan Finley's editorial - "Ex-jihadis...
- Message for Friday - Muslims are not allowed to be...
- Walid speaks at health disparities & social justic...
- Walid comments further on issue of face veil in Ha...
- CAIR Executive Director on C-SPAN today
- Joint call from Mecca: End Bloodshed in Iraq
- Eid Mubarak!
- Walid comments on woman denied justice because of ...
- "Building Islam in Detroit Project" opens at MSU
- Walid speaks to doctors and health care profession...
- Message for Friday - The Night of Power
- Walid speaks at University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Walid gives diversity training at Comerica Operati...
- Islamic Scholars respond to the Pope's speech
- Islam & Affirmative Action
- Walid comments on more Muslims observing the fast ...
- U of M Holds "Immigrant Day" Event
- YAF Plays 'Catch' Amid Protests
- Walid's statement at the University of Michigan - ...
- Message for Friday - Extremists are enemies to Isl...
- Walid comments on Danish cartoon
- Congressmen support CAIR
- Keith Ellison victim of Islamophobia
- Walid addresses the meaning of "Jihad"
- Walid comments about 'Catch an Illegal Immigrant' ...
- CAIR-MI CONDEMNS 'CATCH AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT DAY'
- Walid comments about discrimination & wearing the ...
- At what age did Ayesha marry?
- Walid gives sermon in Ypsilanti, Michigan
- Media coverage of Walid speaking at Ford Motor Cor...
- Sudan: No Genocide in Darfur
- Message for Friday - Seek forgiveness and having t...
- Walid comments on diversity seminars to be held at...
- Walid speaks at Ford World Headquarters regarding ...
- Rwanda: The Month of Ramadan - A Time to Reflect
- MSU administration supports diversity training reg...
- Michigan Muslims and Jews break fast together
- Detroit Cardinal, Muslims reaffirm dialogue
- ▼ October (41)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier