Thursday, September 21, 2006
Walid addresses media concerning due process rights for Muslim charity
Official statement from Dawud Walid, Executive Director of CAIR-MI regarding raid on Life for Relief and Development’s office:
On September 18, Life for Relief and Development was raided by the FBI and the IRS reportedly to investigate activities that are not related to terrorism. Although no arrests have been made, no funds have been frozen and the charity continues to operate, several media outlets reported that the counter-terrorism task force assisted in this on-going investigation.
Yesterday at a meeting with the FBI, I posed the question to Mr. Dan Roberts of the FBI of how were major media outlets able to be at the raid site so quickly and how did the media conclude that the counter-terrorism task force was at the raid if the FBI did not inform them. Mr. Roberts purports that the FBI did not contact the media, nor did the FBI inform the media that the counter-terrorism task force was involved in the investigation.
Furthermore, Mr. Roberts stated that Life for Relief and Development is not on the list of organizations that our government deems as supporters of terrorism and that it is perfectly legal to still donate to the charity.
We question why the FBI, using a sealed warrant, conducted such a high profile raid when by their own admissions Life for Relief and Development poses no threat to National security.
We also take issue with the media sensationalism of some outlets that have insinuated that Life for Relief and Development has potential ties with terrorism. Such reckless reporting only serves the purposes of increasing Islamophobia and producing a chilling effect upon the Muslim community to donate to their own charities. We need to make sure that Life for Relief and Development, like any group of individual, receives all the due process rights guaranteed by the Constitution. An organization’s reputation can suffer irreparable damage if it is not able to refute allegations made against it or to even know what accusations it faces.
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- December (25)
- November (23)
- October (45)
- September (36)
- August (28)
- July (26)
- June (19)
- May (29)
- April (22)
- March (28)
- February (22)
- January (29)
- December (35)
- November (27)
- October (41)
- Walid gives sermon at Muslim Community Center of D...
- Bigot of the Month - George Allen (R-VA)
- Walid speaks at the University of Michigan - Ann A...
- Message for Friday - G'd gives to the tender, not ...
- Walid meets with Cardinal Maida of Archdiocese of ...
- Walid Addresses Homeland Security Students at Mado...
- Muslim charity cleared for donations
- Walid speaks at Rosh Hashanah program in Ann Arbor...
- Walid comments on how bogus allegations diminish A...
- Walid comments on statue constructed by Albanian C...
- Walid gives sermon in Flint, Michigan
- Muslims donate money to rebuild churches damaged b...
- Walid links misreporting by media and the rise of ...
- Walid comments on "Driving While Muslim"
- Community Leaders Urge Support for Islamic Charity...
- Message for Friday - Prophet Muhammad's welcoming ...
- Walid addresses media concerning due process right...
- Walid speaks about Bilal and his importance to Afr...
- Walid meets with Homeland Security, Justice Depart...
- Walid says Pope's comments embolden "Clash of Civi...
- Walid questions FBI raid on Muslim charity
- Walid comments further on FBI raid of Life for Rel...
- Muslim charity gets raided by the FBI for what?
- Walid briefly comments on Pope Benedict's boorish ...
- Walid appointed Ambassador for Peace by IIFWP
- Walid comments on the need for more Muslim facilit...
- Walid gives sermon related to Ramadan and the merc...
- Message for Friday - Rationalization Produced Sata...
- Interfaith event between African-Americans & Jewis...
- Walid Addresses Numerous Topics on Ohio Radio Show...
- Comcast to show Bridges TV without additional surc...
- Walid comments on 9/11 and the "War on Terror"
- Walid gives sermon on 5th anniversary of 9/11
- Message for Friday - Islam Clearly Prohibits Terro...
- Walid Speaks about Muslim Community's Need to Enga...
- Professor from LSU clarifies misinformation about ...
- Misinformation campaign regarding Darfur is alive ...
- Interview of President Ahmadinejad with Mike Walla...
- Israel still holding Hundreds of Palestinians and ...
- Walid speaks about discrimination after 9/11
- Walid speaks at Interfaith panel on Mideast
- August (11)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier