Thursday, July 26, 2007
Messages for Friday - Giving to orphans is a religious mandate in Islam
G'd says in the Qur'an in the 107th chapter:
Have you seen the one, who rejects [the true essence] of religion?
He who repells the orphan,
and does not promote the feeding of the poor?
Woe to the worshippers,
Those who pray and are heedless,
Those who pray to be seen,
But refuse acts of kindness.
It is a mandate in Islam that Muslims are to take care of the orphans. This is a clear injunction in the Qur'an and is deep within the spirit of the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (SAAS), who himself was an orphan.
In war torn societies especially, orphans may be the most vunerable people. Not only can they not support themselves materially, but even more important, they lack protection. They are orphaned not by choice, but due to circumstances, which they are innocent of.
Thus, the Muslims have the responsibility of protecting orphans from harm as well as giving them the tools that they need to develope in life (wholesome food, access to health care & education).
In Islam, rituals are important, but rituals without compassion are worthless. It is better for one to implement plans to take care of the weak than perform superogatory chants and prayers.
And surely G'd knows best.
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- Recommended books to read on suicide bombing and h...
- Walid to appear on talk radio in Kalamazoo
- Muslim leaders pushes for education and discourage...
- Walid on Mitch Albom Show discussing charity raids...
- Walid comments on BRIDGES TV discussing the raids ...
- Messages for Friday - Giving to orphans is a relig...
- Muslims upset by raid on charity
- More news regarding raids
- Hizbullah, Hamas & Islamic Jihad are...
- Walid comments regarding raids on charities today ...
- More coverage on extremely successful CAIR-MI banq...
- 40 years after the civil unrest in Detroit
- Commentary on the 'White man's burden' in Africa
- Walid gives sermon - "Knowing purpose in worship"
- Message for Friday - Worship means knowing purpose...
- C-SPAN video discussing cartoons and Islamophobia
- Revisiting the facts regarding "foot bath" controv...
- Walid - keynote speaker at diversity festival in K...
- Walid gives sermon regarding diversity
- Message for Friday - The Excellence of Beneficence...
- Walid gives sermon regarding justice and terrorism...
- Court overturns lower court ruling on Un-American ...
- Walid on C-SPAN addressing political cartoons
- Islam is against terrorism and political violence ...
- Walid meets with Iraqi leader
- Walid gives "Know your rights" presentation
- ▼ July (26)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier