Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Message for Friday - Help the oppressed and the oppressor
Prophet Muhammad (SAAS) said, "Help your brother when he is an oppressor and when he is oppressed."
And man question, "Oh Messenger of G'd! I help him that is oppressed, but when I see him oppressing, how do I help him?"
He (SAAS) replied, "You block or repel his oppression, and that is how you help him."
The believer in Islam is commanded to help the oppressed irrespective of their religion or whether the oppressed ask for assistance or not. In the struggle to help the oppressed, this automatically puts liberators and oppressors at odds.
Helping the oppressed takes moral strength and conviction, for liberators must be willing to put their wealth, reputations and possibly their lives in peril. When the oppressors, however, have close relationships, even the same faith, as those who seek to liberate the oppressed, there is a tendancy for many to blind themselves to the oppression.
In the Muslim world today, many of the governments are ran by oppressive regimes. From Algeria and Tunisia in North Africa to Turkmenistan in Central Asia, Muslims are being oppressed by fellow Muslims while most of the Muslim world passively watches. Business transactions and investments go undisturbed by rich businessmen while private dismay by some behind closed doors translates into idleness.
Perhaps, this could be one of the biggest challenges for Muslims today is to resist oppression within its own ranks without bringing about anarchy within their own societies.
Although American Muslims lack the power to physically remove oppressors, the community should at least have the moral strength to speak out against these forces and divest their resources from the reigns of the oppressors.
And surely G'd knows best.
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- Walid meets with OIC reps to discuss interfaith di...
- Walid gives sermon regarding materialism
- Shunning materialism
- Sharing religious texts between the People of the ...
- Walid addresses ending torture
- UN says Darfur conflict triggered by environmental...
- Message for Friday - Help the oppressed and the op...
- Few Iraqis find refuge in the U.S.
- Regarding funding of the "footbaths"
- Walid gives "Know your rights" presentation
- American Muslim civil rights complaints up 25%
- Sunni & Shi'i imams speak out against terror bombi...
- Walid urges unity after attack on shrine in Iraq
- Walid addresses Muslim unity
- Message for Friday - The caller is like the actor
- U of M "foot bath" station is about hygiene
- CAIR - 13 years of service
- Walid speaks about being patient during opposition...
- Message for Friday - Be part of the solution, not ...
- ▼ June (19)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier