Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Short biography (bio) of Dawud Walid
Above picture is of Dawud Walid at the American Islamic Comuunity Center in Madison Heights, MI.
Currently, Dawud Walid is Executive Director of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MI), assistant Imam at Masjid Wali Muhammad in Detroit, MI, board trustee for the Metropolitan Interfaith Workers' Rights Committee and member of the North American Imams Federation (NAIF).
Walid has spoken at several institutions of higher learning about Islam and Interfaith dialogue including Harvard University, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, University of Michigan - Flint, University of Michigan - Dearborn, Michigan State University, University of Detroit-Mercy, Oakland University, Madonna University, Grand Valley State University, Ferris State University, Lake Superior State University, Youngstown State University, University of the Virgin Islands - St. Croix, University of the Virgin Islands - St. Thomas, Wayne State University, University of Toledo, Muskegon Community College and Wayne County Community College. He also delivered the 2008 Baccalaureate speech at the prestigious Cranbrook-Kingswood Academy in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
Walid has also delivered religious lectures and sermons in over 40 mosques throughout the United States as well as giving a speech to hundreds of Muslims at Mt. Uhud in Saudi Arabia.
Walid has also appeared appeared or been quoted extensively in the media including but not limited to The New York Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, CSPAN, CNN, Al-Jazeera, Voice of America, National Public Radio, Pacifica, FOX National Radio and the BBC World Service Radio.
He has also written editorials, which have been published in the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, Kuwait Times, Daily News Egypt, Middle East Online, World News Network, Nation Times, Arab-American News, Muslim Observer and the Muslim Journal.
Walid has made pilgrimage to Makkah (Hajj) in Saudi Arabia and has visited 14 additional nations including Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Israel and France.
Past leadership positions include Chairman of Al-Ikhlas Training Academy (Pre-K - 12th Islamic Private School in Detroit), Chairman of Religious Studies for the American Society of Muslims' National Young Adult Association and the interim Imam at the Bosnian American Islamic Center in Hamtramck, MI.
- News (133)
- Audio (107)
- Islamophobia (55)
- Islamic messages (50)
- Interfaith (32)
- General Islamic knowledge (29)
- Opinion (24)
- Opinion editorials (22)
- Intrafaith (18)
- Video (18)
- Darfur (16)
- African-Americans in Islam (13)
- Hadith (12)
- Fatwa (9)
- Terrorism (9)
- Announcement (6)
- Media appearance (6)
- Obituary (4)
- Foot bath (3)
- Iran (3)
- Iraq (3)
- awards (3)
- Africa (2)
- Press release (2)
- Anniversary (1)
- Biography (1)
- Immigration (1)
- Jena 6 (1)
- Xenophobia (1)
- ► 2007 (332)
- Message for Friday - Muslim Merchants Must be Ethi...
- Walid Addresses the Problem of Sensationalist & Ir...
- Bigot of the Month of August - Sen. Rick Santorum ...
- Racism & Islamophobia - Double Trouble for African...
- Response to Islamophobic editorial of Cal Thomas
- "Dialogue among Civilizations" not "Clash of Civil...
- Walid to speak at Zaman International conference
- Short biography (bio) of Dawud Walid
- African-Americans, Arab-Americans & Latino-America...
- Walid to speak at Interfaith panel on Mideast
- Walid comments on racial profiling by U.S. Airways...
- ▼ August (11)
- Tariq Nelson
- Short bio of Dawud Walid
- Razi Hashmi
- Profile Story on Dawud Walid
- Precious Rasheeda Muhammad
- Nihad Awad
- Muslim Hip Hop
- Michigan Muslim
- Karen Dabdoub
- Juan Cole
- Islam 101
- Hussam Ayloush
- Hajj service company (Highly recommended)
- Faheem Shuaibe
- Edgar Hopida
- Dawud Walid's lectures (video)
- Dawud Walid's lectures (audio)
- Dawud Walid on NPR's Talk of the Nation
- Dawud Walid on New Africa Radio
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ahmed Rehab
- Ahmed Bedier